Dr  S.A.Alam
Dr S.A.Alam, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS (R)

I spoke to you six months ago when I was experiencing nipple

Customer Question

Hi DrI spoke to you six months ago when I was experiencing nipple pain. You suggested it could be a bacterial infection rather than fungal. After unsuccessfully treating with an anti fungal cream I then did request anti biotics and the pain cleared up. Whether it was coincidence or the anti biotics worked I'm not sure. Now, six months later ( i am 14 wks pregnant) but for the last week I have been experiencing the same nipple pain/shooting breast pain in the same breast as December. Once again the doctor has treated me for nipple thrush and it has not cleared up. Would this be the same problem as December? Could it reoccur? My hormones were both high in Dec as I was doing IVF and I guess are high now because I'm pregnant. Do you think this is bacterial again? Can you get bacterial infection just in the nipple? It does not look like mastitis as I had that many years ago when I was breastfeeding. Do you think I should ask for antibiotics again? Thank you
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr S.A.Alam replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your question, as your pregnant now so best option will be to get culture or scraping test from the breast to make sure whether it it fungal or bacterial infection, using medicine blindly in pregnancy can cause problems to the fetus.