Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  40 years experience; Board certified Ob-Gyn

I am 25 weeks pregnant and still feeling nauseous. I am on a

Customer Question

Hi I am 25 weeks pregnant and still feeling nauseous. I am on a zofran pump because I have tried everything. Diclegis, Promethezine, Reglan, Meclizine, Zantac, etc. Would it be reasonable to ask my doctor to try a steroid? Why is it that nothing seems to help the nausea? Are there better drugs out there? At this point I feel like any risk is worth it because I am having a hard time surviving everyday...hard to eat, sleep, drink and I am having thoughts of aborting baby. Also feeling hopeless and depressed. Please help.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Ted Manos replied 4 months ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Manos, M.D., board certified ObGyn. It appears that you have what is called hyperemesis gravitating which is somewhat common but difficult to deal with and treat. If you have more nausea than vomiting then zofran can get you through these times. The more frustrated you get the worse the nausea and vomiting can be. If you get dehydrated then a brief trip to hospital helps to get IV hydration. There is no simple answer for this problem but some medications can help some.
Hyperemesis gravidarium and not what my computer printed (gravitating)
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Would Ativan be something good to try for nausea and the anxiety I am experiencing?
Ativan may help but patients have problems with dosage and unforeseen reactions. Taken close to delivery and babies are floppy with diminished muscle tone
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Oh. Yeah i thought maybe this would be good to try as I often feel anxious and panicky most of the day. I definitely do not want a floppy baby haha
I'm back. How worried are you about your life once the baby is born?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I feel that most issues will resolve after birth
Well that's a good attitude. That should include your stomach issues.