Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray MD, Doctor
Experience:  Trained in obstetrical care and routine gynecology. 14 years experience as a family physician.

What would the The Medical Standard of Care be doctor to

Customer Question

What would the The Medical Standard of Care be for a doctor to examine a pregnant woman that is not feeling well, deep phlem producing coughs, sore throat and a fever of 100+
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Anthony Bray MD replied 4 months ago.
From your description the source of the fever is respiratory in nature ....the source of the fever would be the main goal to establish from medical standpoint... Rapid strep test / exam of eye conjunctiva / sinuses exam of throat / listen to lungs and heart ....
It sounds that source of fever likely respiratory infection so decision up to doctor to determine if viral 's bacterial respiratory or if reason to look further such as urine specimen to rule out UTI . but history you describe much more sounds that she may have strep throat or bronchitis as more likely source of fever
If findings lean more to bacterial cause then antibiotic treatment would be indicated
Does this help to answer your question ??
Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns
I will be happy to get back with you
If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedbackThank you and Best Regards
Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
did you not notice i mentioned she was pregnant? when treating a pregnant woman with a fever is the babies health not a factor?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Would it not be standard to check for the babies heart beat if the pregnant woman complains about not feeling well with symptoms and fever?
Hello again,
Yes if course but I did not know what gestation that she was ...if she was early in pregnancy such as 12 weeks that would not be indicated to evaluate the babies status ...not the same if later gestation such as 30 weeks along gestational stage would be an important factor
More advanced stage of pregnancy would indicate need for her to have child's status checked if she presented with fever. ..the setting can be a factor as well in that ...
If she was herself checked say by an internal medine doctor then they would not have the same tools available to check infant status as her OB/GYN....
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok, well two weeks ago my wife went for her 25 week checkup. The baby was fine and good heartbeat, last Saturday she wasn't feeling good and I told her to go see a doctor. She ended up leaving work and going to an Urgent Care because her doctors office was closed and she didn't want to wait 3 hours to be seen at ER. At Urgent Care she told the doctors of her symptoms and that she was 26 weeks pregnant. All the doctor did was check temp which was 99.8 and look at throat and told her she probably had pharyngitis and prescribed amoxicilian. Now 6 days later on 27 week check up baby has no heart beat. Shouldn't the doctor have checked for heart beat or referred her to somewhere (ER is around corner) that could have checked the baby?
Hello again ,
I'm very sorry for your loss ..
The urgent care may have likely not had equipment to evaluate the baby but they could have advised that she include further follow up from to urgent care -- yes to that ....
Did she have any pelvic pain ? Any clues of problem in that regard??
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
stomach and diarehha, temp, sore throat, feeling like no energy, cough, etc.

Hello again,

The low grade fever would be nonspecific type finding ...stomach discomfort might raise concern ...especially lower abdomen may ...

Cough would not lead one to tend to think that the baby should be in any trouble.... That would not be a high degree of suspicion...

Do you have any indication as to what may have happened ??

Some things happen at times such as cord around neck that there may not be warning for such ....

The overall picture has not seemed to have major red flags to suspect fetal distress....

Let me know if I might be of any further help ...

Take Care ---

Anthony Bray MD