Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  40 years experience; Board certified Ob-Gyn

I am 24 weeks pregnant and I want an abortion because I am

Customer Question

I am 24 weeks pregnant and I want an abortion because I am still feeling nausea and finding it hard to eat and drink and I have tried everything for the nausea, I am even on a zofran pump. I want an abortion. Would this be possible? I really want my baby but I can't live like this anymore.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Ted Manos replied 4 months ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Manos, M.D., board certified ObGyn. You have a frustrating problem that is called hyperemesis gravidarum It goes away after having the baby but it brings depression and plenty of unhappiness. Really wanting your baby is important but convincing yourself to have an abortion will lead to sadness the rest of your life. Having a child is never easy until they are on their own. Can you sacrifice your well being for about four more months to give the baby a chance. There are few if any facilities in this country that would terminate your pregnancy. You need love and support during this time and mother and baby don't appear to be harmed in the long run.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm trying to hang in there but it seems like each day gets harder and harder to get through. I am having a hard time coping mentally with the fact that I can't really eat, drink, or sleep much. I am phobic to vomiting which makes matters worse and I am afraid to leave my house cause I am afraid I am going to get sick. I feel like I am living in a prison :( thats why I want to get an abortion but you are right nobody will do it at this point.
Well, let's dissect what you are experiencing. You thankfully have an uncommon disease called hyperemesis gravidarum. It's a terrible dysfunction of your GI tract that sounds like you are on chemotherapy everyday for months and not sick from chemotherapy one week in three for months. Your disease is not fatal and it will go away after delivery. You are not living in prison but it's more like house arrest that usually lasts 6-12 months. It is house arrest with vomiting and difficulty eating but not prison. You can leave the house but it's limited with your being sick. Even with this difficult set of circumstances the fetus and mother don't suffer permanent damage. I remember college basketball coach, Jimmy Valvano, who wanted people never, ever give up and he had cancer that he died from. Are you tough enough to survive your sickness for another four months?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I feel like i am not tough enough not going to lie
There are patients that have difficulty getting pregnant and go through all sorts of procedures to become pregnant. If I would tell a woman that I guarantee a pregnancy but she'll be sick as a dog for most of the pregnancy. I think she would say yes if it was to be only during the pregnancy. Just a thought.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I know. That is true. But they dont have emetophobia like i do and it was an unplanned pregnancy :( id give anything to get rid of how i feel at this point. Id rather adopt
All you have is a choice to be tough or not. Only you can create yourself as being tough. Or you create yourself as not being tough.
You have plenty of reasons to want this to go away and maybe you could find a place to have it done. It's a choice that you possibly can find an avenue to take care of it.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I already tried nobody will do it too far along. I hate my life.
You should consider counseling to see what you can do to improve your life. Maybe placing the child for adoption would lessen the stress.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
If i am going to give birth i am definitely going to keep her. I just started therapy. I need to see a pyschiatrist too but its kind of hard when you can't go anywhere. Feels like theres no help for me i am just supposed to suffer for months. I wish there was a pill that would at least numb my mind so i mentally could get through and cope better.
Medical marajuana could help at this point. There are no strict contraindications during pregnancy.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I looked into it and In Arizona, pregnant women can't get medical marijuana cards :( UGH I swear there's no hope in this world at all!
It sounds like your stuck and the pregnancy contributed to the situation. At least you're getting counseling and no much I can change