Dr Norbert Scheufele
Dr Norbert Scheufele,
Experience:  specialist at self employed

I have paragard iud. The organization said it was good yrs.

Customer Question

I have paragard iud. The organization said it was good for ten yrs. So I left it in. I was 42 when it went in. When I was 43 my cycle stopped. It returned a few times when I was 44 and then nothing. This early end to my cycle coincided with hypothyroidism that went undiagnosed for 10 months. They said with thyroid supplement prescription that my period might return. This did not happen. It took some time to figure out what would dosage and med. would work. I am a pour converter so I take med. With both t4& t3. So from 43 to 52 yrs of age, I thought it would be ok to leave it in because I was still within the 10 yrs . I have just become aware that I should of removed it 12 months after my last period which was at age 45. Will I encounter an issue with iud removal noes at age 52 7 year after pmenopause onset? Also I only feel one string instead of 2 will this hamper Remo al?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Norbert Scheufele replied 4 months ago.

although it will not cause a problem to leave the iud for 10 years in your case, I would recommend to remove it now and then check the hormonal blood values. This will provide information whether further contraception is necessary. Treatment then depends on the result.

Kind regards,

Dr. N. Scheufele

if there are still open questions, I will be glad to answer them. Otherwise please don´t forget to honour my work with a kindly rating (3-5 stars).
Thanks a lot, all the best for you,
Dr. N. Scheufele