Dr David
Dr David, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced physican trained in ob-gyn and oncology

My wife was diagnosed today with a possible Herpes

Customer Question

My wife was diagnosed today with a possible Herpes infection. They did a culture , but we suspect it is a possible staph infection. I have a MRSA infection in my elbow bursa which I am currently getting IV antibiotics. I have no other symptoms . Is it possible that she had staph not herpes?
JA: The Gynecologist will need to help you with this. Is there anything else the Gynecologist should be aware of?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Gynecologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr David replied 4 months ago.

This is Dr. David

I am sorry about your wife's infection.

herpes infection tend to be very very painful. where is her infection? in her vulvar or genital area?

a culture will show for sure if there is staph growing and if it is MRSA or not.

is the wound culture results back yet?

the lab can also do antibiotic sensitivity panel testing if there is staph infection growing in the wound.

ask your doctor for a final wound culture report and what it shows.

let me know if you have questions.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It is a genital infection. The reason that I thought it could be MRSA is that I was just diagnosed with it in my elbow. My wife is 58 years old and we have been married for 35 years, so Herpes was just doubtful to me. They did a culture today
Expert:  Dr David replied 4 months ago.

I see.

the chances of MRSA is small, i think less than 10% chance.

the wound culture will tell for sure.

50% of genital herpes cases can be herpes type 1 virus.

herpes can stay dormant for years and years and decades and can manifest when immune system is down when the patient is run down, not getting enough sleep and not eating well.

blood tests such as ELISA for herpes type 1 and 2 and DNA PCR herpes tests can be done to check if she has herpes infection active.

if herpes, type 1 or 2, she can get valcyclovir antiviral pills to help shrink the breakout and help the genital pain

the culture results will most likely take 3-5 days to come back.

does she have pain in the wounds there.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

Thanks for using