Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  40 years experience; Board certified Ob-Gyn

I am pregnant and suffering from severe nausea, agoraphobia

Customer Question

Hello I am pregnant and suffering from severe nausea, agoraphobia (won't leave home), emetophobia (afraid of vomiting), depression, anxiety, panic attacks...just to name a few! I was thinking about making an appointment with a psychiatrist but I can't help but think nothing is going to help me because I feel like I have so many complex issues. Will a psychiatrist be able to help me get back to my old self? I am hoping to get there before the delivery of my baby. Thanks
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Ted Manos replied 4 months ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Manos, MD, board certified ObGyn. I'd like to help you. How far along are you? What was your "old self" like?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am 24 weeks pregnant. My old self was very independent, had a job, happy, little anxiety, not depressed, always had mild emetophobia but since the pregnancy and the bad nausea it has manifested into a severe phobia where i worry constantly.
Thank you. Was this a planned pregnancy? Have you had the nausea since the beginning? What do you take for it? Have you tried Diclegis? I imagine if you could have your stomach settle down many of your concerns (phobias) could resolve.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No it was not planned. I've had the nausea since about 8 weeks pregnant. I've tried everything. They had to put me on the zofran pump and IV fluids. It helped. So far only having some bad hours of nausea in the morning. So scared it could progress. But yeah if I didn't feel nausea anymore things would be great
Trust Diclegis taking two at bedtime and one or two in am. I've been managing ob patients for many decades and the more you can reduce the nausea the less intervention you need. Psychiatrist could help to distinguish considerations that you haven't seen for yourself. At 24 weeks it can improve just as a normal rule with pregnancy.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I tried it for a week during the first trimester and it did not help :( At 24 weeks do you think the nausea can go away ever? I feel like this is going to last the whole pregnancy :(
Try Diclegis again as your hormone levels are less than early on in first trimester. Don't get discouraged as it reduces your energy level.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok i will try it. Also I am scared of delivering the baby as I have severe anxiety. What if I go into a full blown panic attack and freak out when I get to the hospital and I can't have the baby or I can't push it out...what happens? What if i can't calm down? I am so scared!
I don't hear someone who will succomb to her concerns. I had a long career taking care of my patients through pregnancy and most importantly the labor and delivery process. I delivered close to ten thousand babies and never saw the mother lose it to anxiety. I always trusted that something like giving birth wasn't easy but well worth it. You'll have nurses in labor and delivery that will support you and are the unsung heroes of the process. Your doctor has a well defined role created by people like myself that put the blueprints of the process in their hands. You can use me to coach from the dugout during the next 16 weeks. It gives me the opportunity to stay in the game.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for the advice. I hope i can get through it. I passed out during my sonogram so I am scared that if i couldn't handle that then how the heck am I going to push out a baby lol.
You'll have a purpose in mind during the labor process and the desire for relief will move you forward
Dr Manos again. Passed out during sonogram probably laying flat too long I imagine. Sometimes a cut lemon helps if you lick the cut end to change your taste buds or blocks other aromas that nauseate.