Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Doctor
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I contracted herpes when I was 27 years old, gave it

Customer Question

I contracted herpes when I was 27 years old, gave it (vaginal herpes) to my wife when I was 28 years old and she was 28 years old. My wife has experienced outbreaks at least once a month since that time. I have not experienced any symptoms, nor outbreaks in the last 15 years (I am 59 now). Should my wife be concerned about giving my oral sex at this and getting herpes in her mouth???
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for your question.

The type 2 virus that causes genital herpes can also cause oral herpes in people who have not been exposed to the type 2 virus previously or have not been infected with it.

Since she already has genital herpes it is VERY UNLIKELY for her to get oral herpes with the same virus.

Plus, the chances of transmission are maximum only when there is an active outbreak and since you do not have active outbreaks like you mention, it is UNLIKELY for her to get oral herpes in any case.

This session is open for any further questions that you may have.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner as that is the only way we, the experts, are credited on here for helping you out.
Kindest regards