Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO

Can I know more information on how a Biopsy is done ?

Customer Question

Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
6 months ago my pap was LSIL and HPV + , my biopsy taken at 12:00 , 1:00 , 7:00 & Endocervical Curettage came back normal. I do not smoke, do not drink , live a really healthy lifestyle and at my 6 month follow up pap I had LSIL and HPV + again and my biopsy taken at 5:00 shows CIN 1 , 12:00 clear and EC clear.My question is , what does the 5:00 , 7:00 mean? Does it mean the section of my cervix ? could it be that the doctor missed the 5:00 section in my first biopsy? and that is why it is showing CIN 1?I am just worried about my situation progressing instead of recessing and since my bioposy was all clear 6 months ago and now there is a section that shows CIN 1 i just want to know if that section was missed in the 1st biopsy ?
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 5 months ago.
Hi this is Dr Stan here to help you today. The 5:00 and 7:00 refer to the areas tested using a clock face for reference. CIN 1 is an abnormal tissue result that needs to be re-evaluated after treatment. If it doesn't respond to treatment and a second biopsy is still positive, then a cervical conization is usually performed to prevent spread. Conization is usually considered to be a curative process to prevent cervical cancer. Was the 5:00 o'clock section missed? I can't answer for sure, but that area may not have shown any reason for biopsy at that time. I wish I could tell you that there is no problem, but I can't. Allow your Gynecology doctor to guide you through this with a good result. I hope this is helpful and I am here to answer any additional questions you may have. A positive rating is always appreciated.