Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, years of experience in the field of Surgery and Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I am 2-3 weeks pregnant. I have taken 2 cytotec orally and

Customer Question

I am 2-3 weeks pregnant. I have taken 2 cytotec orally and another 2. And again the next day. Only minimal bleeding then stopped. I want to keep the baby. Will my baby be okay?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 6 months ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.Cytotec is an abortive drug, and the dosage you have taken it in can harm the baby. It can cause birth defects as well, so the well being of the baby at this point in time can only be established on an examination and an ultrasound.I would suggest that you go to the Urgent Care or an ER right away to have an evaluation and ultrasound to see if the baby is alright. Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.Wish you good health.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Will they be able to see if the baby is all right now?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 6 months ago.
they will be able to tell you that.Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.Wish you good health.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't understand I spoke to a OB/ GYN Dr Norbert and he said the baby will be fine there is nothing to worry about?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
But the birth defects will only show later?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 6 months ago.
You understand that Cytotec has Misoprotol in it, a drug that can cause abortions and birth defects.The organogenesis of a child occurs in the first 3 to 8 weeks of gestation, so I am not exactly worried about birth defects at this point in time but about the gestation going the way it is supposed to.So, it is always best to be careful, specially keeping in mind that you have experienced some bleeding. At this point in time, it is crucial to evaluate if pregnancy is going the way it should for its age.I do hope Dr Norbert is right, but it is best to have this evaluated.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 6 months ago.
Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.Wish you good health.