Dr David
Dr David, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced physican trained in ob-gyn and oncology
41363181

I started back on birth control on Sunday, April 24 after a

Customer Question

I started back on birth control on Sunday, April 24 after a six-month break (I was on it continuously for 15 years). I should have started somewhere between this past Sunday through Tuesday (May 15-17), but I still haven't. I'm not even feeling bloated, crampy, etc. HOWEVER, I bled pretty much all month. It was mostly spotty breakthrough bleeding, but I had a full-on, cramps-and-all period during the second and third weeks of my cycle (May 5-10, roughly). I am not pregnant (haven't had sex since January, and I've had periods since then). Do you think my body is simply getting used to the pill again? Maybe I won't have a period this month? I'm supposed to start my new pack tomorrow. Should I still do that? Or should I wait a few more days to see if I start? I do feel *slightly* crampy today, but not my usual crampy feeling. I'm 33, never been pregnant, am not currently pregnant, and have suffered from endometriosis and ovarian cysts for 12 years. Please advise.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr David replied 6 months ago.
This is Dr. Daviddepending on when in your menstrual cycle you started your birth control pills, this can affect when your body adjusts and has its first periodyes, I think your body is simply adjusting to the new schedule of birth control pills.you should not wait and just continue the pills and your body's hormone levels will adjust and come more in line with your birth control pillsyou might miss a period this monththis doesn't mean you are pregnant.your period next month might be a bit heavier which is normal as wellyou don't have to worry. keep taking your birth control pillslet me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The "period" I had during the 2nd and 3rd weeks of my cycle was a real period - heavy, cramps, bloat (basically all the usual PMS symptoms). I went through two or three tampons a day for about 5-6 days. Do you think this was my period for this month?Also, I get very nervous and paranoid about something being seriously wrong due to my history of endometriosis. I'm just praying that this is purely a hormonal thing and that my body is simply trying to get used to the pill again. Should I be worried that anything serious could be wrong? I am so terrified of ovarian cancer.
Expert:  Dr David replied 6 months ago.
that sounds like the period bleeding for the month.your symptoms don't sound like endometriosis right now.you don't have to be worriedthere does not seem to be anything wrong.I am a cancer doctoryour symptoms are not of ovarian cancer.you don't have to worrylet me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com