Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO
93248684

What is it really known so far about Zika virus. My husband

Customer Question

What is it really known so far about Zika virus. My husband and I are relocating in August to Florida in August and we plan on getting pregnant within 2 years.
What do you know so far about Zika and what will I do when I will be in Florida and Zika will be there? Do they approve of epa mosquito repellents in pregnant woman?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 6 months ago.
Hi this is Dr Stan here to help you today. DEET containing repellents have been approved by the EPA but oil of lemon eucalyptus is a natural product that also seems to be effective against mosquitoes. When in Florida or any other area, remove standing water, cover up when going outdoors and use a repellent. There are no guarantees but taking precautions is as much as can be done at present. If a vaccine is developed, it won't be available for many years. I hope this is helpful and I am here to answer any additional questions you may have. A positive rating is always appreciated.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
There is proof that can cause microcephaly in babies or is just something not researched so far
What else can cause microcephaly? Other than Zika
How long normally does it take cdc to develop a vaccine in years?
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 6 months ago.
it is true that Zika virus can cause microcephaly. Maternal viral infections such as rubella (German measles), toxoplasmosis, and cytomegalovirus, maternal alcoholism or drug abuse, maternal diabetes, mercury poisoning, uncontrolled maternal PKU, maternal malnutrition and down's syndrome. It could take 3-8 years to develop and provide a vaccine.
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 6 months ago.
A follow up to my previous comments. There are many problems that can befall us. If we take precautions, we can prevent many of them, but unfortunately, not all. Life should not stop because of the possibility of a problem. If it did, we would never go forward with our desires and we would stagnate. Just my thoughts. Dr Stan
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 6 months ago.
Thought you might be interested in this new medical article on Zika Virus http://www.medscape.com/features/timeline/zika-timeline?src=WNL_infoc_160521_MSCPEDIT&uac=219175MX&impID=1103607&faf=1