Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  40 years experience; Board certified Ob-Gyn
88055251

I am 54 years old and my periods are very irregular and

Customer Question

I am 54 years old and my periods are very irregular and heavy. sometimes during the day nothing and then a surge will come out of nowhere. how long will this last.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Ted Manos replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Manos MD
I'm board certified ObGyn and can respond to your question.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I didn't get your answer
You are in the perimenopausal phase of female menstrual cycles. That generally means you don't ovulate regularly and will have unpredictable vaginal bleeding usually heavy at this phase.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
They are lasting a long time . Can this go on for weeks
Your ovaries are still producing estrogen and this primes the uterus for ovulation and if the ovulations don't happen then the period happens just from the estrogen stimulation. You should see a gynecologist to help reduce the chances of bleeding too long or too heavy. All this is common and hard to say how long the pattern will continue this way.
Fortunately, this happens from the reducing function of the ovaries and not some anatomical change with the uterus. Seeing an ObGyn during a prolonged period can allow the doctor to shorten the length of the bleeding and stop blood loss.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I also have fibroids.
I hope I've been helpful as the issue can be worrisome when you don't know what's exactly going on.
It's not likely that the fibroids are causing the problem and a transvaginal ultrasound can be helpful.
Any other questions concerning your periods?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I also have clots
Clots are common with the bleeding when the ovaries are not ovulating and the bleeding lasts for days on end.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it's normal to be so irregular and have no idea when it's coming . I hope this doesn't last for years
It's hard to predict how long the phase will last. Seeing a Gyn could control things better than waiting for these phases to reach menopause which could last a year or two.
I'm glad I can share some information and have you understand what's going on. You can rate my information to complete this aspect of your inquiry.
Dr Manos again. I haven't heard about any follow-up on your perimenopausal bleeding. Is it better or better controlled?