Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

I was told I have a uterine polyp which is causing me excessive

Customer Question

I was told I have a uterine polyp which is causing me excessive bleeding. I was recommended that it be removed. Once removed is there a higher incidence of another polyp growing as a result? Is there an alternative to having it removed?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 6 months ago.
HelloNO there is no medical alternative to having it removed.It should be removed in fact.You are not at risk for more of them specifically, but these carry a small risk of cancer, need to be removed, and sent to the lab. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
basically there's no other option like certain hormones that can be taken that will decrease the bleeding then? I had a DIC that was negative with a hysteroscopy so that doesn't mean then that the polyp is not cancerous then? I'm confused because my doctor saw only 1 polyp on the hysteroscopy so I don't understand why there's so much bleeding even though I understand polyps are highly vascular.
HelloYour endo doc is correct.Your TSH indicates that you are in the hyperthyroid range.This might cause fatigue, but would typically cause other hyperthyroid symptoms.I am not fine with this value. Hashimotos can initially cause increased thyroid hormone. Then decreased.If you are on thyroid replacement I would slightly reduce the dose.Anemia, adrenal problems, sex hormone problems and underlying diseases must be ruled out by your internist. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My second questions weren't answered. I think it was intended for another patient because the reply had nothing to do with my questions.