Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray MD, Doctor
Experience:  Trained in obstetrical care and routine gynecology. 14 years experience as a family physician.
13781349

I received a call from my obgyn about my 6 week pp appt. I

Customer Question

I received a call from my obgyn about my 6 week pp appt. I am 30 and had a pap smear and was tested for HPV. I had a thin prep pap during my prenatal appt that came back normal. My pap came back normal from my 6 week pp appt. They did say I was hpv positive. They are testing it for 16 & 18 hpv. If i have 16 & 18 does this mean I have cervical cancer? Does it mean they will just keep a closer eye on me since my pap smears over the past 6 years have all come back normal?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Anthony Bray MD replied 6 months ago.
Hello!The positive HPV does not mean that you have cervical cancer --- No to that ...Closer monitoring advised >> YES to that If you should have development of pre-malinant change then further intervention would THEN be advised ..So the key for you is to prevention ...Reason to be more vigilant going forward but no need to panic here I hope that this information is helpful for youLet me know if you have further questions or concernsI will be happy to get back with youIf my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedbackThank you and Best Regards,Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is a normal result of the thin prep pap in August 2015 and May 2016 a great indication of no abnormalities to be concerned with? I know the thin prep does have a higher sensitivity than the original pap tests. Basically how accurate are pap smears that there is in fact no abnormal cells even with HPV?
Hello again,Your normal PAP results are reassuring -- YES absolutely The good results 8/15 and 5/16 are good indicators and reliable that you do not have cervical cancer and no pre-malinant change ...Due to the finding of HPV..it means that going forward in time You should have more regular screening ...If that had been negative then you would not have to have another PAP for 3 years but with the HPV I would advise annual PAP ..I hope that this is helpful for youLet me know if you have further questions or concernsBest regards!Anthony Bray MD
Hello again,The following reference may be a helpful resource for your information >>>http://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/infectious-agents/hpv-fact-sheetLet me know if I may be of further help..Best Reghards!Anthony Bray MD