Nadim Al-Mubarak
Nadim Al-Mubarak,
Experience:  MD at University Hospital Case Medical Center
16855155

Is it safe to use Luvena probiotic during pregnancy? When I

Customer Question

Is it safe to use Luvena probiotic during pregnancy? When I feel a little off ph balanced I use it to prevent a yeast infection. I have read on a few websites it is safe to use when pregnant. I just wanted to make sure.
Thank you
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Nadim Al-Mubarak replied 6 months ago.
GreetingsI encountered this question with a patient of mine just few weeks ago. Probiotics contains micro-organisms that are naturally available in every normal human being, so-called "friendly bacteria"To date, there are only limited data to document the safety of probiotics during pregnancy. These data showed no evidence of any any adverse events, such as miscarriages or congenital malformationsBased on the above, it is most likely but non-conclusively safe.Let me know if you need any further clarifications
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
So would you advise it is okay to use?
If it is making a significant impact on your health when you take it, then YES, I would take it. If not, then I would avoid them and wait until your are done with pregnancy. Theoretically, they should not have any adverse effects, being friendly microorganisms, but we believe in scientific documentation of this safety before we can routinely recommend it.
If this satisfies your question, please complete the stars rating above. It is how we get credit for our service. You may still email me with questions on this issue after the rating. Best wishes