Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

My wife of 2 years just got pap smear with HPV high risk numbers.

Customer Question

My wife of 2 years just got pap smear with HPV high risk numbers. She skipped her pap last year but the one before the was normal. She had biopsy done and results will be here thursday. Here's the question, in 2010 my late wife developed anal cancer from the same virus, could I be the cause of this in both wives????
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 6 months ago.
It's possible that you transmitted HPV to both wives, but there is not way to be sure about it.HPV is a common virus, and most of us get it at some time during our lives. In most cases our bodies clear it within 1-2 years, but sometimes it stays longer, even for many years.There is no test for HPV in men. If they get genital warts, that's caused by HPV, but it's a different strain than causes cervical or anal cancer.Most anal cancer seems to be related to HPV, and almost all cervical cancer and precancer is due to HPV, what are called high risk strains.It's likely your wife's biopsy will show some precancerous changes. There are common, and most of the time don't even need treatment, as they will disappear on their own. If they don't go away by themselves, they are generally easily treated in the office.If your present wife never had sex with anyone else, then I would suspect that her HPV came from you. If she has had sex with other men, then it's just as likely that she got the HPV elsewhere, since your HPV is likely long gone. But there is not way to be certain where she got it.