Dr David
Dr David, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced physican trained in ob-gyn and oncology
41363181

Had unprotected sex with a friend I know and know her Std status,

Customer Question

Had unprotected sex with a friend I know and know her Std status, we are both std free. This was Sunday morning. Towards the end of sex, she told me to ejaculated inside of her. Afterwards either Monday or Tuesday she took Plan B because she wasn't "religiously" taking her birth control. Obviously I know it was dumb to have done that and should of been more clear. Apparently her period is suppose to come in a week and a half so I am nervous about ovulation. I am
Going off what I read on the internet but just decided to come here and ask a professional on my situation. I'm beyond stressed and can't sleep.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Davidplanned B on Monday or Tuesday would have terminated the pregnancy if she was pregnant.her period could have been irregular or delayed from stress or exercise or any other causes.you don't have to worry about her being pregnant.next time, you can use a condom for contraception as wellshe can always go get blood testing in a few weeks to test for pregnancybut I bet she will not be pregnant.let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks doc, I'm just trying to move on from
This. Her period is suppose to come 7-10 days from now, I heard women are most fertile during the time I ejaculated inside of her, about 13-16 days before her period. I'm just scared of the "not religiously" taking birth control and Plan B reliability. I don't know if there are any statistics and my paranoia is getting the best of me. What are the chances Plan B works and does "not religiously" taking birth control/sporadic birth control still help to fight against it?
Expert:  Dr David replied 1 year ago.
Plan B reliability is very high, works 95-99% of the time.http://www.webmd.com/sex/birth-control/plan-byes taking some birth control pills also helps prevent pregnancy as wellI would not worry about her being pregnant.let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know I'm splitting hairs here but the webmd sight you gave me says its 87% effective, any reason why there's a difference between what your saying and what the website says?
Expert:  Dr David replied 1 year ago.
If you take it within 72 hours after you've had unprotected sex, Plan B One-Step can reduce the risk of pregnancy by up to 89%. If you take Plan B One-Step within 24 hours, it is about 95% effective.if she took it monday, that would be within 24 hours, 95% effective.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To be accurate it was like 5am on Sunday morning so like by Monday or Tuesday would be 24-48 it was before 72 hours. Should I be worried about this occurance or should I just move on? I don't know what the percentage of her is getting pregnant on one time during ovulation, but that times 87%? Is this something I should be concerned about?
Expert:  Dr David replied 1 year ago.
you don't have to be worried,you should just move onyes, 87% effective even during ovulation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey doc, one more question, if she took Plan B Monday or Tuesday will that reduce its effectiveness? I'm looking at a lot of information online and I'm starting to get stressed. What's the reliability of plan b 24-48 hours after taking it? And how effective is plan B?
Expert:  Dr David replied 1 year ago.
I told you alreadyif she took it Tuesday, she would have 87% effectiveness for no pregnancyyou don't have to worry about her being pregnant.please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com