Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.

I had visible bloody urine about 6 months ago and was treated

Customer Question

I had visible bloody urine about 6 months ago and was treated with antibiotics and it totally cleared up. However I had my Physical today and there was a small amount in my urine sample. Is this serious? I'm scheduled for a CT scan of kidneys soon.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 5 months ago.
A small amount of blood may or may not be serious. It's good that they're checking it out, since there are many possible causes, including kidney or bladder cancer. However, a small amount of blood can also be found when there is nothing wrong.If the CT is normal, that mostly rules out cancer.A kidney stone or urinary infection can also cause blood in the urine, but either are not likely without symptoms.