How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. SH Your Own Question
Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Doctor
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 8770
Experience:  Board Certified MD
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. SH is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm 51 years old I haven't had a period since Nov 30th 2015.

Customer Question

i'm 51 years old I haven't had a period since Nov 30th 2015. I've been having pains in my lower stomach like menstrual cramps/ovulation pain, I notice I'm spotting...what is the problem...I thought menopause but now not so sure
JA: OK. The Gynecologist will need to help you with this. Is there anything else important you think the Gynecologist should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Gynecologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 year ago.
Hello, It is is not normal to have sudden spotting/ bleeding after months of missing period. This should be further evaluated by your Gynecologist. Possible reasons for your symptoms are- -Hormone problems,-Atrophy of the vagina,-Polyps (small growths) in the uterus or on the cervix,-Hyperplasia (enlarged cells) of the lining of the uterus,-Ovarian tumor.You will be requiring pelvic examination, hormone blood tests along with a vaginal ultrasound scan for evaluation of cause.If this is related with cervical polyps, then you may need to have them removed. For hormone imbalance you would be prescribed with oral medications and injections.The line of treatment would be advised according to the cause.Please see your Gynecologist and get it clinically evaluated. I hope this helps.If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance.My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
I have a slightly different opinion.Menopause is defined by absence of period for 12 months and by definition you have not fully gone through your menopause yet.The symptoms that you are having are most likely due to hormonal changes that are happening.Most likely not something to worry about.This session is open for any further questions that you may have.I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner.Kindest regards