Dr David
Dr David, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced physican trained in ob-gyn and oncology
41363181

I am breastfeeding my 6 month old and she has started eating

Customer Question

I am breastfeeding my 6 month old and she has started eating solids for 3 meals a day. I have 2 vertebraes fused in my neck and find the only thing that has helped marginally is taking 2, Tylenol #1 every day. (16 mg codeine) I always wait a minimum of 4 hours before pumping. Will the morphine levels be safe in my milk with having to take daily? I don't see extra drowsiness or feeding problems in my baby and I don't feel much difference other than a bit of mild brain fog an hour or so after taking it then it goes away by the 4th hour. Thank you in advance
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr David replied 7 months ago.
This is Dr. Davidyou should let your ob doctor know that you are doing thisin the book, it is rated as not safe for lactating mothers.codeine sulfate has a half life of 2.5 to 4 hours .so some of it still is in your system after 4 hours, either 1/2 or 1/4 of the dose. so the baby is getting a tiny amount of that.risks have to be weighted with benefits in your situation.the risks are small for your baby, but not zero most likely.usually they can go on just solid food after 1 year.but your baby may be able to move to all solid food sooner.let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Am I able to have this answered by an ob on here?
Expert:  Dr David replied 7 months ago.
none are online right now.the question was in the medicine category.would you like me to move it to ob/gyn?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes please. Thank you
Expert:  Dr David replied 7 months ago.
ok administrators have to do that.it can take a few hoursplease be patient.