Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, years of experience in the field of Surgery and Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have a migraine and I am trying to decide if taking fiorcet

Customer Question

I have a migraine and I am trying to decide if taking fiorcet with codine is safer than sumatriptan injection. The migraine is not severe but Tylenol has not helped. Migraine started last night
JA: OK. The Gynecologist will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Gynecologist can help you best.
Customer: OK what do you need to know
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Gynecologist should know?
Customer: I have had migraines before pregnancy, I am in my 27th week. I have had NO complications with pregnancy
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Gynecologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 7 months ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.At 27 weeks there should be no pregnancy related adverse effects of taking one Fioricet for the migraine. It would be better than to get an injection of Sumatriptan as safety of sumatriptan in pregnancy is not established and there are reports of miscarriages.Hope this helps.Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.Regards.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
can you site any sources or give me links to sites white I can find compiled data on the use of these two medications during pregnancy. I know it will only be reported information and not any kind of research study.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 7 months ago.
Yes, I am sending two links.1) Sumatriptan - http://www.drugs.com/pro/imitrex-injection.html2) Fioricet - http://www.drugs.com/pregnancy/acetaminophen-butalbital-caffeine.html
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 7 months ago.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.Regards.