Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.

I had a medical abortion 4 weeks ago. I went to my follow

Customer Question

Hello, i had a medical abortion 4 weeks ago. I went to my follow up 2 weeks later and was told everything was normal. I still have mild pain in my abdomen and lower back. A few days ago i noticed my urine was very strong smelling. I purchased a home uti test and its showing positive for leukocytes. I have no pain when urinating. Could this be a uti? After reading forums i am terrified of a post abortion infection. Can this be a concern? I have contacted the clinic and they did not seem to concerned. However my anxiety is through the roof. Thank you in advance.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 5 months ago.
Strong smelling urine is not a sign of a post abortion infection.It can sometimes be a sign of a urinary infection, so I would recommend getting tested for that.If you had the abdominal pain when you had your follow up exam, then most likely they didn't think it was due to an infection.Strong smelling urine can also be normal. It can be related to foods we eat and medications we take. If you don't have a urinary infection, you're probably normal.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you. My concern was the postive wbc in my home urine test. Could this be from the abortion?
The positive wbc is unlikely to be from the abortion. If there is no urinary infection, it may just be from some vaginal discharge, if the urine wasn't collected in a sterile enough manner. There are normally wbc's in the vagina.