LaKrystal Warren
LaKrystal Warren,
Experience:  Physician at Contemporary Women's Care
93539917

I have leiden factor 5, would you reccommebd taking plan

Customer Question

I have leiden factor 5, would you reccommebd taking plan b?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  LaKrystal Warren replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I am an OB/GYN and can help you with this. Do you know if you homozygous (two copies) or heterozygous (one copy) for Factor V Leiden? Have you ever had a blood clot? Either way, Plan B is progesterone only and should not increase your risk for blood clot. If you are pregnant or become pregnant, whether or not you have one copy or two copies of the gene will determine if you have to take medication during pregnancy.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am trying to get my test results now to check for sure but it should be heterozygous since my mother also has it and its not on my fathers side.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have never had a blood clot before but it does run in the females on my mothers side.
That history is good news. If you are heterozygous (only one copy from your mom) and have never had a blood clot, you may not have to take medication during pregnancy depending on the recommendations of your doctor. Also with this history, your chances of having any adverse effects with Plan B is low. Plan B should be taken as soon as possible after unprotected sex (preferably within 72 hours and no more than 5 days after) if pregnancy is not desired. If you are heterozygous for Factor V Leiden, you can use progesterone only methods for birth control (Depo shot, Nexplanon implant, or IUD). You can discuss the best method for you with your doctor. Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Wonderful, thank you for your help!
You are very welcome!