Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.

I am on the implanon and after being on it year an a

Customer Question

I am on the implanon and after being on it for a year an a half, I've started to have my period. So far it's been regulating to once every other month, but this month, I've been bleeding for 17 days, it is very light, but still very red.
JA: OK. The Gynecologist will need to help you with this. Is there anything else the Gynecologist should be aware of?
Customer: Before being on birth control, I did have really bad periods, but I was on depo for 2 years prior to being on the implanon, which I've now been on for 2 years
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Gynecologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr David replied 5 months ago.
This is Dr. DavidImplanon or etonogestrel subdural can cause breakthrough vaginal bleeding as a side sounds like you have not tolerated any sort of birth control well.was your bleeding less on Depoprovera?have you had your ferritin and iron levels checked to see if they are low?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
On depo, the first dosage I did spot for the entire three months, but afterwards, I would only spot when I was due for my next shot. I have tried to donate blood, and my iron levels were fine when they would poke me to check
Expert:  Dr David replied 5 months ago.
so it is up to you if you stay on Implanon or go back to depoit sounds like you still bleed or spot on either of these treatments.let me know if you have other questions.