LaKrystal Warren
LaKrystal Warren,
Experience:  Physician at Contemporary Women's Care

I have a 2.2 cyst on my right overy and the pain went away

Customer Question

I have a 2.2 cyst on my right overy and the pain went away and now it is back is it because i am ovulating i am a 30 year old female with three kids 7 pregnancys and i am just wondering if i have pcos because i have not been on birth control in the last two years and have not gotten pregnant
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  LaKrystal Warren replied 5 months ago.
Hello, I am OB/GYN and can help you with this. PCOS is a condition where women have an improper balance of hormones where the body does not ovulate on the proper schedule and this results in irregular periods and/or acne and/or increased hair growth. Having one small cyst on your ovaries does not indicate that you have PCOS. There is no blood test for PCOS. There are three criteria: irregular periods (not occurring every month), evidence of increased follicles or very small cysts on the ovaries on ultrasound, and/or acne or increased hair growth. If you have two out of three, then you meet criteria for PCOS. Birth control is recommended to have regular cycles when you do not desire pregnancy. Women with PCOS that want to get pregnant may need medication to help them ovulate so that they can become pregnant. In your case, you have three kids and sounds like you are ovulating and have regular cycles, so you likely do not have PCOS. If you have been having unprotected sex at your fertile times and have not become pregnant, I would recommend following up with your OB/GYN for further evaluation as to possible reasons.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
what would be the other possible reasons
It may be due to your husband, so he will need to get his sperm evaluated (even if he has children in the past he could have developed a problem). There could also be an abnormality with your uterus (like fibroids), so you need a pelvic ultrasound. Sometimes people have infections that they don't know about and this causes scarring to the tubes--you may need a test called a hysterosalpingogram to make sure the tubes are open. There also may be an issue with your thyroid, so that should be checked. Often times, we run all of these tests but don't find a reason and then medication is used to help you become pregnant. Chances are good for you since you have already had three healthy kids. Good luck!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok i had a ultrasound a few days ago and it said i had one cyst on my right overy
Having a cyst on your ovary like the one you described is not abnormal and is related to ovulation. No cause for concern and it will go away on its own.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It does cause pain as well.Could the abortions have played a problem in me not getting pregnant because my husband and i are seperated and i am with someone else and havent gotten prego
It is possible that there is scar tissue after the abortions and this is making it difficult to become pregnant. The same test that checks to see if your tubes are open can also tell you if there is scar tissue. This is not very common. Your new partner may have issues with his sperm or you may not be having sex at the right times or often enough. The good news is that you are young and if you see your doctor, there are many things that can be done to help you get pregnant.