Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

JA: . What do you want help with? Customer: I had

Customer Question

JA: Hello. What do you want help with?
Customer: I had unprotected sex 7 hours ago and emergency contraceptive like Plan B is not available in UAE
JA: OK. The Gynecologist will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Gynecologist can help you best.
Customer: Can I take normal birth control pill in higher doses?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Gynecologist should know?
Customer: I live in UAE and I got Yasmin birth control pills
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Gynecologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 5 months ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. Yes and no. There are some studies that have used normal birth control pills in high doses as emergency contraceptives and they are effective, but the only normal birth control pills that have been found to be highly effective are the normal birth control pills that contains a specific progestin component, levonorgestrel. This is actually the same medicine that is in Plan B pills. There are actually many normal birth control pills that contain levonorgestrol, usually in combination with ethinyl estradiol, but some names include Alesse, Nordette, and Climara. The Yasmin birth control pills uses a different progestin, so would not be as effective as using a normal birth control pill that contains levonorgestrel. Would you be able to see a doctor to get a prescription for a normal birth control pill that contains levonorgestrel?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi,I don't think pills containing levonorgestrel are available in the country, either. Is there something else you can suggest?
The next best option would be normal birth control pills that contain norethindrone, such as Brevicon I have tried to find a web site that lists the medicine that are available in UAE and have not been able to find one, although I am limited to looking for web sites in English. Are you aware of how I review which birth control pills are available in UAE?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I found the following in pharmacy around me.Diane-35 Yasmin
Neither of these are good for emergency contraception. Both use a low potency progestin, which is a good thing when trying to limit side effect to the progestin component of birth control pills, such as acne, but makes them less effective as emergency contraception. If they are all that is available, then you may have no choice but to try a high dose of these pills, such as taking 4 pills at one time, but a birth control pill with a stronger progestin would be preferable. If you can find a site where I can review which birth control pills are available, I would be glad to review the list and see which would be the best option. Or you could ask the pharmacist whether there are any birth control pills that are available that contain either levonorgestrel or norethoindrone.