LaKrystal Warren
LaKrystal Warren,
Experience:  Physician at Contemporary Women's Care
93539917

CAN DOXYCYCLING HYCLATE 100MG TREAT uti JA: The Gynecologist

Customer Question

CAN DOXYCYCLING HYCLATE 100MG TREAT uti
JA: The Gynecologist will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Gynecologist can help you best.
Customer: MY FRIEND IS GOING THROUGH HELL SHE WAS ORIGINALLY TTEATED FOR UTI 1ST WEEK OF MARCH, THEY GAVE HER CIPRO 2 TIMES IN A ROW. THEN THEY TOLD HER SHE HAD CYSTITIS AND GAVE HER AMOXYCILLIN 5 DAYS , THEN THEY TOLD HER SHE HAD A YEAST INFECTION ADN TEHY GAVE HER ANTIFUNGIL ONE DAY PILL & CREAM. THEN AFTER SHE WAITED AND STILL HAD TERRIBLE BURNING AND IRRATATION THEN WENT TO THE HOSPITAL THEN THEY GAVE HER ANOTHER 1 DAY PILL AND TOOK URINE. THEN AFTER THE ONE DAY PILL. THEN SHE WENT TO GET HER URINE RESULTS WHICH SHOWED ENTEROCOCCUS AND THE # ***** BETWEEN 50,000 & 99,000. THEN THEY GAVE HER YEAT ANOTHER ANTIBIOTIC CALLED NITROFURANTION. NOW THINGS GET WORSE ADN SHE HAS BACK AND SIDE PAIN AND FOUND OUT HER WHITE BLOOD CELLS WERE WAY UP SO THEY ADMITED HER AND GAVE HER iV ANTIBIOTIC THEN SENT HER HOME AS SOON AS BLOOD CELLS WENT DOWN AND GAVE HER DOXYCYCLINE HYCLAT 100MG TABS. NOW YOUR GYNO SAYS THAT YOU HAD AN INFECTION IN THE URINE AND CALLED IN ANTHER ANTIBIOTIC AT THIS POINT SHE IS BURNING AGAIN AND DOES NOT KNOW WHICH DRUG TO TAKE. SHE CANT SEE GYNO UNTIL MONDAY AND IS LOSING IT. WHAT ARE THEY DOING TO HER AND WHAT SHOULD SHE DO
JA: Is there anything else the Gynecologist should be aware of?
Customer: WHEN DOES SOMEONE START TAKING CARE OF HER THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Gynecologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  LaKrystal Warren replied 12 months ago.
Hello, I am an OB/GYN and can help you with this. It sounds like your friend has had a tough time with urinary tract infections (UTIs). She has been treated multiple times with multiple antibiotics, yet she still has the UTI's and is getting yeast infections due to all the antibiotics. The UTI is not going away completely and it sounds like she developed a kidney infection and had to get IV medications. Even after she is still having another infection. Doxycycline is not a typical antibiotic for UTI. The antibiotics prescribed before (Cipro, Nitrofurantoin, Amoxicillin) are more appropriate. Usually after two UTI's, a culture is done on the urine and tested against the antibiotics so we know which one to prescribe. Sometimes, it is necessary to be on a prolonged course of antibiotics (7-14 days) to get rid of the infection. An anti-fungal medication like Diflucan is prescribed because it is common to get yeast infections when you are on an antibiotic. Doxycyline usually treats uterine infections after miscarriage or abortion or pelvic infections. It can be touch on the vagina and cause a yeast infection or just general burning and irritation. I would recommend stopping all medication at this point and making an appointment with a Urologist (someone that specializes in the bladder and UTI's) as soon as possible. A urine dip and culture will be performed and the Urologist may want to take a look into the bladder using a camera (cystoscopy). Something is definitely going on if she has had multiple UTI's without resolution and she has to find out what it is.