Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I am 38 weeks and 5 days pregnant and I have extreme intravaginal

Customer Question

I am 38 weeks and 5 days pregnant and I have extreme intravaginal pain upon contact. Going about my day I cannot tell there is severe inflammation, but as soon as penetration occurs (even with something as small as a Qtip or a pinky finger), it feels like knives or a cactus entering the vaginal canal. Not only does my current OB not even check my cervix, she completely ignores the fact that I've had this pain my entire pregnancy, even a small amount of it before becoming pregnant. I have asked if they could check to see how dilated I am after applying a local anesthetic, but I was told they do not routinely do that. I have been having Braxton Hicks for about 3 days now, but I am due next week. All of my cultures have come back negative the exception of GBS (group B strep), which supposedly should not be causing any pain or symptoms. What advice do you have for me so that I can get the proper treatment? Thank you
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 8 months ago.
If you've been having extreme vaginal pain upon contact for your entire pregnancy, and your doctor has completely ignored your complaints, I would suggest that it's time for another doctor. That's difficult at the end of your pregnancy, but you might be happier if you find another doctor who will respond to your needs.I think it would be worthwhile to get a second opinion. Your symptoms are unusual. Perhaps you have a type of vestibulodynia, which is unusual during pregnancy. It's not well understood, but is not uncommon, and there is no reason to think it can't happen during pregnancy.We don't have treatment for this that will always make it go away, but there are treatments that will help. In your case, a topical anesthetic gel will probably give you at least temporary relief, and may be helpful during your labor for vaginal exams.See more on vestibulodynia here http://www.vulvalpainsociety.org/vps/index.php/vulval-conditions/vestibulodynia