Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

Can i smoke ciggerettes while on the skyla iud rather than

Customer Question

can i smoke ciggerettes while on the skyla iud rather than junel birth control pill that has progesterine and estrogen?
JA: The Gynecologist will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Gynecologist can help you best.
Customer: 28 year old woman getting off the copper iud - can she smoke ciggerettes while on the skyla iud? it says with junel birth control pills no smoking- that has progesterine and estrogin
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Gynecologist should know?
Customer: mood swings with pms and heavy bleeding with the iud on it for six years
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Gynecologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 11 months ago.
You can smoke cigarettes while on the skyla iud.You can also smoke cigarettes while taking Junel and other birth control pills. It may not be a good idea, but then it's not a good idea for your health to smoke cigarettes at all. The risk of heart disease increases from smoking. That risk goes up when taking the pill, and goes up significantly more after the age of 35.So you can usually get a prescription for the pill up to the age of 35, but not after.But you can use the skyla iud at any age. It does not increase your risk of heart disease. Best wishes.