Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Neurologist/Internist with academic and clinical experience.

I am 11 weeks pregnant and have a large polyp coming

Customer Question

Hello I am 11 weeks pregnant and have a large polyp coming through my cervix about 1cm wide and 5cm visible. Scans have shown that the polyp is attached to veins and arteries very near the uterus and is about 12cm internally. The polyp did not exist when I became pregnant and causes spotting on a daily basis. Should the polyp be left alone or removed now or at a later stage?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 6 months ago.
Hello. This is a very difficult question to answer. I went to the National Library of Medicine Archives to look up papers related to this problem, and came up empty. I do have an article on treating cervical polyps in general, how their removal is useful in improving the chance for pregnancy, but nothing specifically on a polyp that is growing at a dramatic rate due to the pregnancy, and how to manage. It might be advisable to consider removal at the second or third trimester, as you will have to have anesthesia and a cervical block for removal, both of which could effect the embryo. The size of this mass is concerning. Have they biopsied it? Get back to me to discuss if I can help. here is the reference article. Dr Frank
Here is an article on this topic which suggests a conservative approach is most likely warranted, but the sizes of the polyps are not as large as what you state here.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks I have found the same in terms of information for this type of issue, as in very little. My current dr is taking a very aggressive approach and has me scheduled for surgery next week just as I hit the second trimester. And is firmly in the camp of ignoring the likely dire consequence to the baby and wants it out. No biopsy, removal with no real justification as there doesn't seem to be any other than a single digit chance of it being cancerous. I am not convinced it is the right option right now hence why I was looking for a better justification.
I understand. I don't think you are going to find anything in the literature, I just went and looked at everything, most is conservative approach. I think you need to find another OB on this issue, I would say that if you are going to do surgery, the second trimester makes more sense, based on the rate of growth. But from a statistical standpoint, why do you need surgery. The studies do not support it. If you don't have histology to suggest a malignant conversion, why take it out? dr Frank