Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO
93248684

Feb 16th I went to my annual OBGYN appointment. I was telling

Customer Question

Feb 16th I went to my annual OBGYN appointment. I was telling my doctor about the cramps I get when I get my menstrual cycle even though I am on the birth control pill Microgestin 1/20 Fe. She suggested I do a 3 month continuous regime. I skipped one month and that was fine, but when I skipped the 2nd month I was only 17 pills into my pack and still on the hormone pill week I got my menstrual cycle on April 21. Usually my cycle on the pills lasts for 4 days and I'm done. Cramping usually only last day 1 and 2. I am on day 5 and still have cramps. I was wondering if this was normal
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 7 months ago.
Hi this is Dr Stan and I will help you today. What you are describing is called "Mittel Shmirts" which is mid-cycle cramping and is fairly common. The cramping you get at the beginning of your cycle is also common. An NSAID such as Aleve or Advil taken as prescribed 3 days before you expect your period will usually minimize the cramps. These can be taken safely and without side effects unless you have GERD or gastritis. Try taking the NSAID now for relief. I hope this has been helpful. Any additional questions? I am here to help you.
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 7 months ago.
Hi, this is Dr Stan and I wanted to follow up with you. Have you tried Advil or Aleve?