Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.

25 year old stage 4 endometriosis I want to have children

Customer Question

HI 25 year old stage 4 endometriosis I want to have children I do not know what to do I have a follow up with my OBGYN tomorrow what are the questions to ask I do not know what to do I am really upset with the news I got post lapro
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 6 months ago.
Have you tried to have children?How regular are your periods?Do you know if your tubes are open or scarred? Thank you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No children yet yes lots of scaring don't know if I am completely blocked tho
Although endometriosis is associated with infertility, many women with endometriosis become pregnant and have children.We don't understand just how endometriosis affects fertility, although if the tubes have scarring, that could explain part of it.The only way to know whether you can get pregnant is by getting pregnant.Hopefully your doctor put some dye through your tubes at the time of laparoscopy. If your tubes are closed, that would prevent pregnantcy, but most of the time, endometriosis does not close the tubes.Even with closed tubes, pregnancy is possible, although it may require IVF.So the questions to ask are:
Are my tubes closed? What do you recommend as far as pregnancy? What is your best guess as far as my being able to get pregnant? Realize that unless your tubes are completely closed, we doctors don't really know whether you can get pregnant or not.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What about medications to hold off the disease I'm not married and really didn't have getting pregnant I my agenda for 5 years.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My mom had it and also fibroids but after she had me. She tried Lipton but had to get hysterectomy
Many doctors believe that taking progesterone or low dose birth control pills (perhaps continuously) may prevent the progression of endometriosis, but I don't believe this has ever been proven.Lupron is a medication that will suppress endometriosis, but can usually only be used for 6 months. It causes a temporary menopause-like state.I would try to re-think your agenda about having children. You are at your most fertile now. Fertility in all women decreases around the age of 30 (although a big decrease in fertility occurs after 35). If you wait for 5 years, it may be more difficult or impossible to become pregnant.