Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, years of experience in the field of Surgery and Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have recently had surgery and an ovarian

Customer Question

I have recently had surgery for endemetriosis and an ovarian drilling procedure. Metformin lower testosterone levels and blood sugar levels? Can it help with hirsutism aswell?
JA: The Gynecologist will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Gynecologist can help you best.
Customer: I have been put on Yasmin to regulate my periods. I just wondered how effective this would be and long this would take. I also have a vitamin D deficiency and have recently started taking Adcal(vitamin D and calcium tablets) aswell as Metformin. The tablets are making me feel quite sick although I have only been on them for a week and a half. How effective is Metformin in lowering sugar levels and testosterone levels?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Gynecologist should know?
Customer: The surgery I had was quite extensive. I'm not sure about all the medical terms but my ovarian fossae, pouch of Douglas, sacral ligaments and bowel have been operated on. I am back at work now but just teaching piano, keyboards and voice from home. Is there anything I should be avoiding? Too much physical activity. Foods, alcohol etc.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Gynecologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.Yes, metformin reduces the testosterone levels and does help with hirsutism. However, for hirsutism the effect is slow that is why most patients prefer laser hair removal rather than waiting for the metformin to take effect.It reduces insulin resistance and has an indirect effect on blood sugar levels as well but does not cause a drastic decrease or low blood sugar levels.You should try to carry out your daily routine activities and gradually progress to other physical activities such as exercise, walk or jogging.Do not over burden your body all at once but slowly progress to higher levels of activity. This is because the nature of the surgery you had was major and it takes 6 months to a year for the body to set its equilibrium after any surgery.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if you got my reply this time.Please do not forget to leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.Best wishes.