Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I just had an abortion 2 weeks ago I'm still bleeding and

Customer Question

I just had an abortion 2 weeks ago
I'm still bleeding
and we had unprotected sex 2 days ago is it possible to get pregnant again ?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 7 months ago.
Hi Mara,Well technically speaking you will start to ovulate as soon as 2 weeks after an abortion. That means that you can get pregnant as soon as two weeks following a pregnancy if you dont use reliable contraception. You should not be sexually active for atleast two weeks following an abortion or atleast until your cervical os closes. However considering that you are still bleeding and continued to bleed through out the two week period that could indicate that you may still have some retained products of conception inside your uterus. A repeat USG should be done to rule this out and i would also suggest a visit your OB/GYN. But in regards ***** ***** question, you can get pregnant as soon as two weeks after an abortion as that is usually the time you start to ovulate. But you should have the bleeding evaluated to determine if there are any products of conception left inside your uterus. Do you have any more questions?If you are satisfied, Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars below, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If I do a home pregnancy test will it show the result ?
Thanks
Not this soon, IF you got pregnant it will take atleast a week for it to show up on a home pregnancy test. So that is why it is best to get a OB/GYN examination done. Do you have any more questions?If you are satisfied, Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars below, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We had sex Friday 1 am that's like 44 hours until now
If I took the morning after pill (Ella one) will it be affective now
It MAY be effective but usually it is more effective within the first 24 hours. Secondly we still dont know if you are pregnant or not, considering your bleeding it is possible that you are not pregnant. There is always a chance but it would be better to have the RPOCs (retained products of conception) ruled out first. This would be more likely if you had a medical abortion, which means pills etc were used for the procedure (abortion). Do you have any more questions?If you are satisfied, Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars below, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How can I know if I'm pregnant or not from now ?
At this point in time, this early on in the pregnancy, it is very difficult to tell whether you are pregnant or not, A blood test would be more accurate after a week as well. But this early on, you cant really tell whether you are pregnant or not. If you are satisfied, Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars below, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating.
Do you have any more questions?If you are satisfied, Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars below, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating.