Dr. Abid
Dr. Abid, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS(R)

My coil has been in situ years! I am now 61 years old

Customer Question

my coil has been in situ for 27 years! I am now 61 years old and past the menopause, but when the string broke 15 years ago I was scanned and told that as it was in a perfect position it could stay in for ever. I am now getting intermittent cramping pains that seem to be coming from just above the cervix.Could this be the coil now inbedded?
JA: The Gynecologist will need to help you with this. Is there anything else important you think the Gynecologist should know?
Customer: No, no bleeding and last smear was fine.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Gynecologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 6 months ago.
Hi there ...Thank you for the question ...Coil which is often called Mirena coil used for two purposes first for contraception since long and second it is also used for the treatment of Endometriosis although this is not the proven or recommended use but Gynecologist use it for this purpose , so yes this can be there for whole life .It is highly unlikely the coil causing your current issue .If you have cramping pain , just once get ULTRASOUND please .Regards ***** ***** my answer as good service .Thanks .