Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified MD
28323552

I had my first OB appt on Tuesday and I am 9 weeks

Customer Question

I had my first OB appt on Tuesday and I am 9 weeks pregnant.. Heart beat 170. What are the risks of miscarriage at 9 weeks with hearing a heart beat?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question.The heartbeat is normal.The chances of miscarriage are low at 9 weeks if the ultrasound was normal otherwise and if you do not have any other risk factors for miscarriage (particularly if you have not had any miscarriages in the past)Let me know if you have more questions.Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at the top right hand corner when you are done asking.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I was pregnant in January however I had what was considered a chemical pregnancry which they say most women don't even know... ( I tested before my missed period that is how I knew) my lmp was 2/9 /16 before I found out I was pregnant I was smoking I have been going on and off with quitting since.. I was told that quitting cold turkey could harm the baby?? Is that even true... I thought smoking would be worse harm.. Is there any damage I could have caused
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 9 months ago.
The best way to quit smoking is quitting cold turkey as far as I am concerned. Quitting smoking cold turkey is not harmful, however the same may not true for other things forms of addiction.I think that you should be fine.Your baby should be fine.Just try your level best to quit smoking.Let me know if you have more questions.Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at the top right hand corner when you are done asking.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
When does smoking start to harm ? I'm worried about it increasing my risk for miscarriage up until this point
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 9 months ago.
A lot of smoking can harm the baby right from day one but not every child or baby is affected and the effects of smoking are not as massive as you think so if you quit even now, your baby should be fine.Let me know if you have more questions.Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at the top right hand corner when you are done asking.Kindest regards
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 8 months ago.
This session is open for any number of further questions that you may have.I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end as that is the only way I am credited on here for helping you out.Kindest regards