Nadim Al-Mubarak
Nadim Al-Mubarak,
Experience:  MD at University Hospital Case Medical Center
16855155

My husband and I are starting to try to have a baby. I have

Customer Question

my husband and I are starting to try to have a baby. I have PCOS very very irregular periods-like now I didn't have a period in 2 months
I also have asymptomatic gallstones. Should I get rid of my gallbladder before I stat trying to get pregnant?
who do I see for prenantal help to ovulate? do I need to go straight to an infertility clinic or do I go to a regular OBGYN? what will be the first thing to do?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Nadim Al-Mubarak replied 11 months ago.
No, you do not need to remove your gallbladder before you get pregnant.Yes, I would go straight to the infertility clinic. Irregular periods and not having periods for 2 months, it would be more efficient to have this investigated through infertility specialist. If they find a gyn issue, they will then refer yo to a GYN doctor.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I work at the Cleveland Clinic so I am looking for someone in Cleveland actually.
why is going an infertility clinic better? are they better suited than a GYN? will I have to go to a GYN in the end anyways?
because I have already a GYN but I thought that the infertility place is better
will they jump into tests and maybe treat me with clomid?also what is the practice nowadays related to elective C-sections? what if I want one? is there still doctors that woud do that If that is what I want or I don't get to pick
It is more time and cost-efficient to go straight to infertility. The basic initial work-up is the same, and they will incorporate their infertility testing as well. But, if you already have a GYN who knows you well, then that is not a bad option to start with. If you end up going to the infertility clinic, I would recommend Dr Falcone at CC
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I used to go to Dr Gitifooroz at CCF but is Dr Falcone infertility doc?
Yes, used to be the chief of the infertility clinic at CCF.. not sure if still there.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok. And my last question: do they do elective c- sections these days?
They discourage it very much. You might find some one who would do it, generally, only if there is an obstetrical or maternal indication.
I take it by elective you mean "preferred"?
Patient preference ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yes preference
No, most would say NO, only when there is an obstetrical indication. I had relative who tried to deliver by CS when she could go normal vaginal, but had not success last year.
You should not really think of CS, it's a major surgery and you should not take it lightly. It has it's own potential complications, and it is really not the "painless approach to delivering a baby"
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
So in other words no doctor wants to perform it when there is no indication?
No one that that I know, and I know many :-)
When you get to that stage, where are support groups and classes that make your normal delivery a much less painful experience.