Erika Abraham
Erika Abraham,
Experience:  Staff Internist at United States Air Force

I had a bump under the skin next to my peri area. I thought

Customer Question

Hi I had a bump under the skin next to my peri area. I thought it was an ingrown hair but it never seemed to get better, just a little bigger. Hurts to touch it, seems to move around under the skin. This morning is broke open and bled quite a bit and seemed to drain, but did not go away. I drained as much as a could and then cleaned it real well and used antibiotic ointment. Just not sure what it is exactly.
JA: OK. The Gynecologist will need to help you with this. Anything else I can tell the Gynecologist before I connect you two?
Customer: It's been about 3 weeks since I first noticed it.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Gynecologist about your situation and connect you two.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Erika Abraham replied 6 months ago.
Hello,This is likely a small abscess or infection with some bacteria in it. Opening it up and draining it is the treatment. The only issue is keeping it clean due to the anatomical location. You can now use Sitz baths or epsom salts which are available at the pharmacy. If you have fevers or chills, then you need oral antibiotics. Be cognizant of tight clothes and sweating around the area. Tylenol should be good for the pain. Best of luck.