Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

My vagina is somewhat scarred due to two transvaginal mesh

Customer Question

My vagina is somewhat scarred due to two transvaginal mesh operation, It makes intercourse very painful. I can reach orgasm by hand stimulation of my clitoris. I s there some creme to be applied immediately after it to numb the vagina walls to make intercourse less painful or painless?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 7 months ago.
You could use a lidocaine 4% gel, which will numb the vaginal walls within about 3-5 minutes. That should help a lot.If you don't already use it, estrogen vaginal cream will most likely also help significantly. Many women suffer painful intercourse after menopause because of the thin, fragile, and inelastic vaginal tissues which result from low estrogen levels. Estrogen cream will reverse these changes and make your vagina similar to the way it was before menopause. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The answer is unsatisfactory. The recommended medication is not available over the counter, I still have to go to a doctore for writing a prescription. In addition according to the pharmacist, Lidocain can be used only on the outside, not inside. It can have serious side-effect. PLEASE, CANCEL MY MEMBERSHIP
Rachel W. Knight
Lidocaine 4% gel is available in the US without a prescription. You can get it on Amazon.com.It's true that estrogen cream requires a prescription.The lidocaine gel can be applied at the vaginal opening. See here http://www.aafp.org/afp/2006/0401/p1231.html