Dr. Kala
Dr. Kala, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Caring US educated & trained physician, 26 years of experience in OBGYN & women's health care.

I had an ovarian cyst about a year and a half ago. It was

Customer Question

I had an ovarian cyst about a year and a half ago. It was 5.6 cm hemorrhagic cyst and it went away within about a week after having the doctor look at it. Since then, I've felt it again a few times and it disappears before the next period. I've been feeling it again recently, but it's been about a month now. The pain comes and goes every few days. Also, I take the minipill for birth control because I can't take estrogen (migraines with aura). 1. Is this likely to be another cyst? 2. What is taking it so long to go away?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 6 months ago.
Hi, I am privileged to help you get more understanding about your current concern. It is important to remember that every time an egg is released from the ovary, a cyst can form. Most woman have cysts on occasion but generally the cysts produce no symptoms so they never know. When the cyst enlarges then it an cause pain which is a reason to come to see me. However I have found cyst 5-6 cm on an ultrasound (US) in which the patient had absolutely no symptoms. In your situation your may have resolved and this is a new one, as opposed to being the same one present 1.5 years ago. When women have recurrent cysts I often will discuss treatment with birth control pills (BCP). BCP work by suppressing the normal ovarian function so an egg is not produced and a cyst will not form. The BCP can be used for 3,6,9 months or longer; however I generally woman use them for at least 6 months to get a sufficient period of rest. This is often enough to allow her ovaries to rest, & then when they start working again many do not have further problems.Let me know if you have any further questions regarding this question as my goal is to make sure you are completely satisfied with your answer.