Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

I recently had an MRI of my lumbar spine because I've been

Customer Question

I recently had an MRI of my lumbar spine because I've been having pain. It's chronic, like a dull ache in my lower back and lots of stiffness when I bend over. I'm a 39 YO white female without any injuries or accidents. I thought for sure I had a disc issue since I already have two bulging discs in my neck. I get sciatica and lately I've been getting tingling in my right foot. The MRI came back completely normal with only a notation about questionable uterine leiomyoma. Is there a way for me to send you copies of the MRI pics so you can tell me what you think?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 6 months ago.
HelloYou can type in the report here.Or attach it.Please put in the entire report.Pics can be attached as well.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The report regarding my lumbar discs was completely normal with only the following impression: Question uterine leiomyoma, clinical correlation recommended. Consider ultrasound for further evaluation.
Nothing remarkable.Where is the report?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm unable to attach the report. I typed verbatim the impression listed. All disc levels were normal. The only note in the impression was about uterine leiomyoma. So based on your view of the images they look completely normal? Do you see anything that looks like a uterine leiomyoma?
NoBut I don't have all the images.There is a hint of something on the third image.However, the discs are normalBack pain can be functional, due to posture, or ligament strain which is chronicHave you had any appropriate therapy?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes, I've been seeing a chiro for about 6 months, have frequent massages and tried acupuncture for about 5 weeks. The back pain flares for about two weeks out of every month. Gets very stiff to where it's difficult to bend over. Then it gets better. Then next month it flares again. I have heavy clotting with my periods and cramping has gotten worse. I've never been able to get pregnant and my cycles are irregular. I do not have breakthrough bleeding or prolonged periods though.
OKWhat is needed is for you to see a physical medicine and rehabilitation MD.This would give a structural diagnosis, which you do not have.That would lead to the correct , objective, manual medicine program, which might involve physical therapy, electronic therapies, traction therapies, etc.Fibroids can cause excess bleeding. Many shrink on their own, particularly after menopause.There is nothing that has to be done bout them unless there is excess pain and bleeding.Then there are a number of surgical procedures, or medical treatments.See the treatments section on this mayo clinic write up. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.