Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  40 years experience; Board certified Ob-Gyn
88055251

I'm 30. I recently started crossfit and I'm Super sore. I am

Customer Question

I'm 30. I recently started crossfit and I'm
Super sore. I am also taking advocare which the supplements and drink has a lot of caffeine.I randomly get a stinging pain in my nipple. It lasts about 30 seconds.
I've noticed it a lot today.
I had a series of breast ultrasounds a year ago with a surgeon over pure anxiety. He checked both breasts via ultrasound 3D every 3 months for a year and sent me on my way. Healthy breasts. I have anxiety terribly relating to health issues. I focus primarily on my breasts as they are easy to check and see for lumps or skin changes or pain. It's exhausting and sometimes I ruin good days worrying.Is a nipple stinging here and there ever cancer? I have no cancer history in my family. Mainly heart disease
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Ted Manos replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Manos M.D.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi
I'm board certified ObGyn. I have had many patients complaining of some nipple soreness and they are doing cross training and the friction from not having s sports bra takes its toll. Without a family history of breast cancer, you needn't be to concerned about breast cancer but not ignore it. In this case soreness on both nipples suggests the friction. Tumors in the nipple area would have some blood stained nipple discharge. My advice is to go to a sports attire facility and get fitted for a sports bra.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The nipples are not sore to touch. Randomly I'll feel a sting through the nipple area. Like breast pain.
The fear to fear itself has to be confronted in your health. Trust your genetics and live free from paralyzingly fear. I hear this about the nipples and wonder how to avoid the rubbing on the treadmill
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. I need to learn to do this. I am healthy and strong.
I hear your courage, I'm enrolled.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
At my age, without history, should breast cancer be on my mind? I am so focused on it after a young friend was diagnosed- a strong history though in her case
Your question is tough to answer. Your risk is low at age 30. Breast cancer is on your mind and how will it be for you at age 35, 40, 45.... We don't know what the future will bring so live in the now. Will the future include progress in things like breast cancer or colon cancer. We don't know. Breast cancer can be stored in your mind but keep it there and not present to it. I have chronic atrial fibrillation and take the blood thinner Coumadin. I'm at risk for a stroke but I don't go there. I do see people at the Y who had a stroke and I still don't go there. I occupy my mind with JA or sports including my golf swing that isn't so easy than years ago. I can worry about my children and infant grandchildren but so far so good. I hope I've helped you and if both nipples have acted up, then it would be related to the training and not breast cancer.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks. This does help. My problem also lies in seeing or feeling a symptom and thinking it always means something terrible. I do it to my son and it's not right. I have a hard time not going to a bad place every time.
What might have happened when you were a child and told yourself something bad would happen and it did. It could have been something only a child might see as bad.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I don't think anything happened. I am just afraid of something happening I guess.
My first wife always worried and she was 8 yo when her dad died. Things like that can leave scars. She worried automatically. Anyway, you have many years left to worry.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yeah and I ruin great days but worrying or having anxiety.
You're designed by the creates to be happy. It's a choice.