Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  40 years experience; Board certified Ob-Gyn

I am 20 weeks pregnant. Yesterday I woke up with pain

Customer Question

I am 20 weeks pregnant. Yesterday I woke up with pain on my right side. It feels like it is coming from my ovary. I saw my Doctor yesterday, at first he said it was ligament pain, but from my understanding that is a sharp quick pain. The pain I'm feeling has not gone away. He did say I could get small cysts when pregnant, and one might of ruptured that's why I have the pain coming from my ovary. He didn't seemed worried about it, so I'm trying not too either, but I am wondering how long the pain will last? How long should I have the pain before I call him back? Will this affect my pregnancy or my baby?
Thank you,
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Ted Manos replied 6 months ago.
Hello Amber, I'm Dr Manos M.D., board certified ObGyn. Round ligament pain is very common in pregnancy starting around week 20. There is a round ligament on each side of the uterus that are like anchoring cables for holding something from tipping over. The bigger the baby gets the more stress on the ligaments and usually the right one.
There are little muscle fibers in the ligament and they can contract and cause pain. What patients usually do is lie down on their left side but this keeps the right ligament stretched. If you lie down and turn on your right side it makes it more uncomfortable for a short time then eases up as the ligament is not being stretched. The ovaries at this stage of pregnancy are shut down by the placental hormones and shut down ovaries don't hurt when they can't form cysts. I doubt you have a kidney stone on the right side cause the pain comes in waves and is horrible. Try the lying on your right side and maintain your hydration as the muscle fibers in the ligament get crampy when you are a little dry.
Hi Amber, what's happened with the right sided pain? Has it gone away?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi dr. Manos
Thank you so much for checking up on me. The pain is still there, but it is subsiding, and I don't feel it as often like I did over the weekend. I contacted my doctor again, and he said it is normal for the pain to be constant as the ligamentsare stretching, and the baby is getting bigger. 21 weeks tomorrow, and she has been kicking the whole week.
Thanks for the update. The uterus twists slightly toward the left as the sigmoid colon is more on the right and that puts some tension on the right round ligament. Actually, there might be less stretch on the ligament after pooping.