Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  40 years experience; Board certified Ob-Gyn
88055251

I have been having an irritating feeling in my vagina for

Customer Question

I have been having an irritating feeling in my vagina for about 2 1/2 weeks. The only thing I can describe it as is feeling aroused. It just doesn't feel right. It's a lot worse at night but I feel it throughout the whole day. This time it started after sexual intercourse. I get yeast infectionsvery easily and had burning and irritation then the feeling came along again. I took medicine but finally the yeast infection went away but this irritating feeling is still here. This happened to me a year ago and each time it gives me severe depression. Please help me I can't feel like this anymore. I need some answers
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Ted Manos replied 7 months ago.
Hello I'm Dr Manos M.D.
I'm board certified ObGyn. I can help you with your symptoms but I need further information. Age, any family history of diabetes, frequency of intimacy and is there production of vaginal lubrication secretion with the sensation?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My age is 19. There's no history of diabetes. The frequency of intimacy was probably 3 times a day for about 3-4 days. There's no secretion. I even went to the dr and had a culture and nothing was abnormal
It sounds like you have what we call pelvic congestion where blood flow increases to the pelvis during sex and not releasing enough after sex well. If you are not having an orgasm each time you're aroused that prolongs the congestion. You might ask your doctor to prescribe a mild beta-blocker that might reduce the congestion. It's something that is common that patients don't like to bring up and doctors don't ask about it. I hope this helps and if you worry less about it the problem goes away on its own.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
When I went to the dr they also did a pelvic exam. Would they see what you are explaining?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
And also I'm not having any pain
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It's just that annoying feeling
That's the usual situation where the pelvic exam is ok and there is no pain. This phenomenon is seen with males when they are aroused but don't climax well. They get an uncomfortable feeling in their testicles which is described as "blue balls". It doesn't last to long as the arousal tissue is limited what one sees with a male. Arousal tissue is around the labia and up through the vagina. The so-called "G" Spot is actually around the cervix and gets full of blood circulation and sometimes takes time to settle down. There is nothing wrong other than not understanding the mechanism.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I've never heard of anything like that. Thank you for your help you have no idea how much it means to finally get an answer other than "you're perfectly healthy". What can I do to make it go away if I can't get in to a doctor? And how long will it last
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm just worried that it's persistent genital arousal disorder or something of that nature
If your symptoms last for more than a few hours it could be called the persistent genital arousal thing. The key is to divert the circulation elsewhere or even sitting in a tub of cold water for about 30 minutes. Also a mild vinegar douche that is cooled in the frig. Even an ice pack on your lower abdomen above the pubic bone for 30-45 minutes. It really helps to understand the mechanism and when you find a relief it tends to go unnoticed after awhile.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I've been having it for about two and a half weeks but it's not always unbearable. And it didn't start happening until I was intimate.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I take baths everyday and it doesn't help. It does at the time but as soon as I get out it starts back up
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is there no medicine I can take?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I got a yeast infection before this feeling stereo happening. And didn't get it treated right away then this feeling came. Could that have anything to do with it? I'm just tryin to rule out persistent genital arousal because there's no treatment for that
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Also I had it about a week before this long stretch and it got better after a few days but I was intimate and it was very painful. Since then it's been nonstop
The actual intercourse was painful? Then you continue to have pressure ? The doctor needs to rule out anything going on around the uterus by ultrasound or even laparoscopic exam.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yeah it was really bad at first. Then it didn't hurt
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
With all of those symptoms does it still sound like pelvic congestion?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I occasionally have very light pain in my lower abdomen and lower back pain
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
But the other symptom overtakes them to where I can barely notice them
The main question is whether there is something being missed or something in the realm of intimacy that is being overlooked. The dynamic of the relationship with your intimate partner or the type of contraception if any. What happens to the sensation when you have your period. All this has to assessed by you and the doctors to free you up.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What do you mean? We don't use condoms. I was on birch control but am not intimate anymore so don't use it. Usually it doesn't change when I have my period
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Pelvic congestion would make sense because I don't alway have an orgasm while intimate. Actually I rarely do
If you haven't been intimate lately then how's the sensation now. If it is still present then do you notice arousal sensations you have off and on? Maybe masturbation would help or not. You can't overlook anything when your pelvic health is in question.
Rarely having an orgasm is not good and not satisfying and has to be a factor to your symptoms. You're young and need to be satisfied and rarely not having an orgasm
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It's still present. It's off and on but it's everyday. Masturbation doesn't help. It makes it worse actually. Actually having intercourse doesn't make it worse. Could that have been what caused it?
I could only speculate what's going on. Maybe you should have a blood test for herpes simplex virus antibodies to be complete as far as std. Many people have no history of an infection by the herpes virus but it gains entrance and sits in nerve cells that can get going later on. If it would be positive it wouldn't clear up the difficulty in finding definite answers.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
When I went to the dr they tested me for all stds they could and I was negative
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I didn't tell them my symptom of arousal because it's kind of embarrassing
That's good about the std thing. You might ask the doctor about the medication terbutaline that relaxes certain blood vessels but would be off label use for your symptoms. I can only say good luck in getting this behind you soon.