LaKrystal Warren
LaKrystal Warren,
Experience:  Physician at Contemporary Women's Care
93539917

I'm a 35 weeks pregnant right now with no insurance. How

Customer Question

Hi i'm a 35 weeks pregnant right now with no insurance. How much does it usually cost at the hospital? And another thing is, can i use my husband insurance instead? I live in palm springs, ca.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  LaKrystal Warren replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I am an OB/GYN and can help you with this. If you are on your husband's insurance policy, you can absolutely use his insurance. If you are not currently on his plan, your pregnancy should qualify as a life event and allow him to add you to his plan. This will increase the amount he pays each month, but will significantly decrease costs associated with delivery if you don't have insurance. The price of delivery will definitely vary based on your area but can cost anywhere from $8,000 to 20,000. That is a lot of money! If you aren't able to get on your husband's insurance, you can try to contact your local Department of Health and apply for your state's version of Medicaid, which should cover most of your hospital expenses. Good luck!