Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  40 years experience; Board certified Ob-Gyn

I recently gave birth to a girl on March 25th. She was 3 and

Customer Question

I recently gave birth to a girl on March 25th. She was 3 and a half weeks early. We have had lots of problems with latching to breast feed. I still want to give her breast milk to get her the antibodies and nutrients in it. So I have been exclusively pumping and feeding her through a bottle. But I have noticed in the last week my milk production has decreased a lot. I was getting 5 oz each pump last week and now I'm lucky to get 2oz (not enough to fill her up through out the day) so I have had to supplement some formula throughout the day. I went and switched breast pumps hoping that would help. I had a cheap single pump from Walmart and just bought a double electric pump for $400 from the hospital but it hasn't helped. Any suggestions on how to increase my milk supply and fast?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Ted Manos replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Manos, M.D., ObGyn. Breastfeeding works by relaxing and allow the baby to latch on without a sense of rushing it. Breastfeed for as long as the baby appears comfortable and don't go much beyond 30 minutes. If your not making enough then the baby isn't. Increase the frequency to about every three hours and that will increase the flow. No need to drink more fluids or to eat more. If the baby looks like she is doing well then spread out the intervals. Don't get frustrated as it will tire you.