Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I have been treated 2 times and the doctor has used

Customer Question

i have been treated 2 times for trich and the doctor has used Flagel 1 day 4 pill treatment and that has not worked. I am still testing positive. Why is that? What else can be used?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 7 months ago.
Are you sexually active? If so, has your partner been treated?Did the doctor use the same treatment both times? Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am sexually active and both times my partner has been treated and both of us both times have been treated with Flagyl 1 day dose with 4 pills. Thank you
If you're certain that your partner has no other sex partner, then your trichomonas infection is likely due to trich that is more resistant to Flagyl. In that case, CDC recommendations are to treat the second time with Flagyl 500mg twice daily for 7 days, for both you and your partner.Most likely that will resolve your infection. If not, there is a second antibiotic that is usually effective called Tinidazole. It's more expensive, which is why current recommendations are to first use Flagyl, which will cure the large majority of cases. Best wishes.