Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Neurologist/Internist with academic and clinical experience.
64994909

I had a questions about recent blood work. I had

Customer Question

Hello I had a questions about recent blood work. I had platelets of 120, and elevated AST 47 and ALT 65 and ggt of 44 after having flu like symptoms with lots of joint pain and a cough that is still present and a fever for 3-4days which has resolved no lymph node enlargement. I have had a lot of nausea and the only thing that is currently present still is a cough that will yield mild production original dry and nausea. during that time a took Tylenol and motrin for 4 days and had a ultrasound of the right upper quad. and everything came back with no significant findings just mildly echogenic pancreas that was hard to visualize. My doctor wants to send me for a CT scan and possible lithotripsy in stones are found on CT even thought they were not found on the ultrasound. I also took a pregnancy test because of the nausea and it came back positive not sure if elevated liver enzymes can produce a positive pregnancy test or am I pregnant and could that be causing the nausea. I already have 4 children and had liver enzymes issues at the end of my pregnancy which resolved with out intervention but with monitoring after about 2-3 weeks. wanted a second opinion
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 8 months ago.
Hello. No, I do not believe elevations in liver enzymes can give you a false positive pregnancy test. The test is for beta-HCG and very few proteins will interfere with that enzymatic thin layer chromatography test. You can have false negative tests due to loss of sensitivity, but not false positives. The only thing is certain phenothiazine medications (older type of antipsychotic medications) or if you were receiving luteal phase pregnancy shots to spur ovulation. Please get back to me if you have questions and I will reply. Or if satisfied, please remember to rate this service by clicking on the rating stars, as that is how I am compensated for this work. Dr Frank
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Could you let me know what condition could be causing the abnormal blood work and if you recommend getting the ct scan and possible lithotripsy based on the above clinical picture
Hard to give you a definite answer based on your labs only. You have elevations in your cellular liver enzymes, and the GGT, is your alk phosphatase and bilirubin elevated? Certainly there are many viruses, like rotavirus, that can give you GI symptoms and then some viral hepatitic picture. Not consistent with kidney stones, however. Your platelet count can also fall in certain viral infections, so that also is in keeping with your story. Dr Frank
You should get the CT scan with contrast to exclude some biliary problem (bile stones) if your bilirubin is elevated in this setting. Dr Frank
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
bilirubin was normal and alkaline was normal
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
also negative hepatitis panel
You need to repeat those positive labs and check CMV IgG and IgM titers
Also for autoimmune like lupus and sarcoidosis Also RSV and EBV viral titers
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I know he also tested for ANA which was negative and CCP, rheumatoid factor which were in normal range. He also tested ESR which was elevated and CRP was elevated
Well if the U/S of the liver was normal, I would check the viral titers for those viruses that I mentioned and not much else to suggest from here. Hope I was able to answer all of your questions. Thanks. Dr. Frank