LaKrystal Warren
LaKrystal Warren,
Experience:  Physician at Contemporary Women's Care

I have inflammation and pain in my vagina what is the caus

Customer Question

I have inflammation and pain in my vagina what is the cause?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  LaKrystal Warren replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I am an OB/GYN and can help you with this. There are many causes for for inflammation and pain in the vagina. The most common cause is a yeast infection. Symptoms of this infection are usually redness and discomfort on the outside of your vagina (vulva), discomfort on the inside of your vagina, thick, white discharge, and vaginal itching. Other causes could be frequent sex, irritation from soaps or deodorants, using over the counter feminine washes, douching, or using feminine or baby wipes.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What can I use for pain?
You can take Ibuprofen (Advil or Motrin) up to 800 mg every 6 hours with food. You can also use cold compresses or ice for discomfort. During the time that you are having discomfort, you should not have sexual intercourse. If any of the above things may be irritating you, you should stop using them.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can I use monistant?
Yes, you can use monistat over the counter for yeast infection symptoms. You can use as directed on the box. There will be a tube of cream that you can use on the outside and an applicator to use inside your vagina. If symptoms are not better in one week, you should make an appointment with your doctor.